Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The gift that keeps giving: Become a blood donor

Scripture: "And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood." Hebrews 13:12

Reflection: Donating blood is something that I have chosen to do now for the past few years as part of my community service and being a Good Samaritan. After all, it is the gift that keeps on giving. Every 56 days we are able to donate one pint of blood as our bodies naturally rejuvenate this amount. In the beginning I thought about the fact that each time I donate that one live is being saved. Certainly, a half hour of my time is well spent knowing this lone fact. Donating blood however for a Christian is even more significant and will lead you closer to Christ. One might wonder how, but it is evident in the mystery of the cross. When God sent his only Son down to earth he did so to love us fully. In the gospel of John it says, "I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly." (John 10:10). Jesus Christ came to save us from sin and death and his ultimate act of love was manifested on the cross. During his crucifixion Christ shed his blood to save the world and open the gates of Heaven. Jesus is the ultimate blood donor and shows us to the father through his sacrifice. Now, when you donate blood remember that and know that we can share in this beautiful act of love in our own small sacrifice to help save lives of brothers and sisters in need. I urge you to take a step closer to your Lord and to begin participating in the life gift giving process of  becoming a blood donor. It may be a small thing we can do, however it is important and it will also lead us closer to our Lord who donated his life and blood out of love for each one of us.

Prayer: Father God thank you for sending your Son, Jesus Christ down to the world in order to save us from sin and death. Thank you for Christ's sacrifice and ultimate act of love on the cross where he shed his blood to wipe away every iniquity. Help me to give freely of the gifts of life that I have to offer others including my own blood as a donor to help save lives. May I trust that in doing so you will lead me closer to you as I remember that you paid the ultimate price. Help me to encourage others to get involved and to give the gift that keeps on giving. Amen.

To sign up please visit: http://www.redcross.org







No comments: