Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Life is precious so be thankful for every day

Scripture: "The days of our years are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty years; yet their pride is but labor and sorrow, for it passes quickly, and we fly away."
Psalm 90:10

Reflection: Today when you woke up did you thank God for allowing your feet to hit the floor in the morning? About four years ago I met a woman named Florence at Le Moyne College. While I was riding the CDTA bus back to campus after serving at the Samaritan Center Soup Kitchen she a stranger then, sat next to me on the bus. She saw something I was wearing said Le Moyne and that was a conversation starter. She revealed to me tht she was upset because a tragedy had happened in her family. I told her I would pray for her and her family. She asked where I was coming from and and thought that was nice of me to go to the soup kitchen. Florence humbly did her work as a part of the cleaning staff around campus on a daily basis and I would see her more often. After saying hello from time to time I began to get to know her more. Eventually, we would have short conversations and every once in a while we would chat for a half hour or so. On one particular afternoon while I was working at the Athletic Center, she stopped by and we started to talk. Our conversations were almost always centered around family and faith. This afternoon she said something striking that I have remembered every day for the past four years and which I will not forget. After asking how she was she said, "I am so lucky because my feet hit the floor this morning. Every day is a good day when you wake up and your feet hit the floor." I thought to myself wow, you know she is right.

Florence taught me about perspective and the cliche that the glass truly is half full, as it is how you look at things. Her positive attitude despite all the difficulties that were taking place in her life amazed me. Her faith was bold and she was grateful for everything she did have. Florence became my friend and was an awesome example and kept me on my journey of faith. Her words of wisdom as what I now think about when I wake up in the morning. Many people do not get another opportunity to see the light of day and then how we use our time is so valuable. You never know who God will bring into your life, just keep your eyes open because when you least expect it, a person will speak to your heart and in essence this is the voice of God whispering a beautiful message that can truly change your life.  Our time here on earth is precious. We may live 20 years, 50 or even a century. However, we cannot control the length or when God will call us back to himself. What we can and must do is be good stewards of this life that we har been given and live a life where we love and are present to the people around us. May our faith shine like the sun and may we walk as his disciples so that when we do pass from this earth, others will remember the life we lived because of our fsithfulness, how we treated others, and the way we valued relationships. Take advantage of this day and the 86,400 seconds you have. Live life to the fullest and try to get better in every way by asking The Lord for his guidance and help.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank your for this day you have created and all that will come with it. Help me to use my time in a positive and productive way. Allow me to have my eyes and ears open so I may see you present in this world and be attentive to your voice through the wisdom of others. Teach me to value my time more and to share it most of all with those I love. May I someday be able to be a Florence for another person and to show them closer to you by my words and deeds. Help us to live life to the fullest today and to be present with the people we are around. May our faith shine through how we live. In Jesus name we pray. Amen


No comments: