Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bible Study at the Oxford Street Inn

Last February I was fortunate enough to start visiting the Oxford Street Inn, the local men's Shelter in Syracuse. On Friday evenings I help run and participate in a Bible study where a group of men, including myself and another volunteer, come together and discuss a passage and/or a key theme for the day. My experience of delving into the Word with my fellow brothers has been of great value, as I have learned more about my faith and how to live it out on a regular basis. In the discussions we have shared our experiences from our lives and how God has safeguarded us and guided us along the journey of life no matter how rocky or smooth each of our paths may have been. These sessions and talks have helped me have new incites and grow in understanding and faith. By engaging in prayerful dialogue with my fellow brothers at the OX, I have received plentiful insight into what it means to be a community and faithful follower of the Gospel. The guys at the OX are amazing and have taught me a great deal through their openness, personal testimonies, knowledge of the Scriptures, and how they view life. There is no doubt that I have been blessed and that God has opened my eyes to see how important it is to go and spread the Good News to all people. I can confidently and thankfully say that when I am at the OX, which is a homeless shelter in the "worst part of Syracuse," all of the walls and barriers that so often keep us apart due to our inability to see beyond and love all people are broken down. By studying the Word and engaging in prayerful reflections, this Bible study has blessed me with new friends, new brothers in Christ, and an increased desire to love as Christ did without counting the cost.

No comments: